X Close

Fire Department FAQ

Are recreational fires allowed?


Small recreational fires are allowed. Fuel area cannot exceed 3ft diameter by 2ft in height. Burn only dry, clean, natural materials……no trash or rubbish, tires, oil or construction waste. Prior to burning:

  • Verify green burn conditions.
  • Keep open fires 25 feet away from structures or combustible materials.
  • Fires contained in an improved barbecue pit or portable outdoor fireplace require a minimum of 15 feet of clearance from structures or combustible materials.
  • Have a method of extinguishing readily available.
  • Fires must be constantly attended until fully extinguished.
  • “Offensive, Objectionable, or Nuisance” fires are no longer required to be extinguished unless the fire is causing a hazardous situation. If all burning requirements are met and the fire is not causing a hazardous situation, the fire department does not have the authority to extinguish the fire.
  • Citizens will not use the fire department to resolve neighborhood disputes regarding smoke emissions. Such situations are civil matters rather than unlawful acts subject to the penalties prescribed in Section 109 of the 2012 International Fire Code.

Residential Open Burning (residential burning of clean yard waste, grass clippings, weeds, tree trimmings, etc.)

Salt Lake County: Residential open burning is not allowed in Salt Lake County.

Utah County: Residential open burning is allowed by permit during the following open burn windows: March 30 to May 30 and September 15 to October 30. Permits are $25 and are good through the end of the burn window.

Residential Burn Permits are issued by the Prevention Bureau under the following criteria:

  • Residential property must be (1) acre or larger.
  • Burn Permit Application must be completed online with the Utah Department of Air Quality.
  • $25 permit fee must be paid to UFA online.
  • Requires a site safety inspection. Permit will be issued by the UFA station crew following the site inspection.
  • Permit holder must verify “green burn” conditions prior to burning.
  • Permit holder must contact dispatch at (801) 794-3970 with name, address and time of burn.

Agricultural Burning:

Agricultural burning is allowed without a permit in both Salt Lake and Utah Counties. Burning is limited to agricultural and horticultural operations. Burning of ditch banks, fence lines, pruning, field stubble and controlled heating to prevent the freezing of crops, etc.

  • A minimum of five contiguous acres of land used for agricultural or horticultural operation is required.
  • Land is actively devoted to an agricultural use and is managed in such a way as to be profitable.
  • Operation must meet the annual “per acre” production requirements for Salt Lake County.
  • Must verify green burn conditions.
  • Must contact dispatch at (801) 794-3970 with name, address and time of burn prior to starting the burn operation in Utah County.
What is the emergency telephone number in Eagle Mountain for fire, police or ambulance?


Call 911 for fires, medical emergencies, or crimes in-progress. For other calls for fire or police service, call dispatch at 801-794-3970.

How do I schedule a fire station tour?


Call Unified Fire Authority’s Community Services department at 801-562-9129.

How do I locate the closest fire station to my home?


Many insurance companies ask the home owner for this information. Fire station 251 is located in City Center at 1680 Heritage Drive and Fire Station 252 is located in The Ranches at 3785 Pony Express Parkway.

How do I obtain a burning permit?


The open burn policy was changed in 2013 to meet the revised standards of the State Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). The DEQ no longer allows permits to be issued on an annual basis as had been done previously. Recent modifications to these rules change the open burn periods and include a statewide requirement to complete an online application with the DEQ and to obtain a burn permit from the local fire authority. The completed DEQ application and UFA-issued burn permit are required prior to conducting any residential burning.

Burn permits may be issued between March 30 and May 30 and between September 15 and October 30. 

Only residents on (1) or more acres are eligible to apply for a residential burn permit. 

The cost for the burn permit is $25.

The permit application process begins at the DEQ’s website.

The $25 permit fee is paid online at the UFA website.

Once the application has been processed and fee has been paid, UFA will contact the applicant to arrange a site inspection.  The fire department shall inspect the area and what is to be burned.  The fire crew will issue the permit following the inspection.

  • Be sure to plan ahead – the entire permitting process could take 3-5 days to complete.
  • The burn permit is good for the duration of the seasonal burn window.
  • Prior to burning, verify green burn conditions.
  • Prior to burning, contact Dispatch at (801) 374-2876 with name, address, and time of burn.
Where do I get my fire extinguisher filled or checked?


There are many private businesses that provide this service. You may search under “Fire Extinguisher Services” to locate one.

Where do I sign up for CPR and/or CERT?


Contact Unified Fire Authority’s Community Services department for information on public education classes – 801-562-9129.

When I see or hear a fire engine with lights and sirens turned on, what should I do?


The driver of the fire engine is trained to pass vehicles on the left and to maneuver in traffic. You should pull as close to the right side of the road as safely possible.

Why do I see our fire equipment outside of Eagle Mountain?


The fire equipment may be returning from a transport to one of the hospitals or from assisting neighboring departments with an emergency response.

Also, fire department personnel are assigned for a 24 hour shift and need to periodically shop for food.  It is necessary for fire personnel to have the proper equipment at all times in case of emergencies.

What is the ISO Fire Protection Rating for Unified Fire Authority?


The ISO Fire Protection Rating for Unified Fire Authority is 2/2x.

Follow Us

  • Issue Reporting Hotline:
  • 801-789-5959
  • Option 1 – Parks and Recreation
    Option 2 – Water
    Option 3 – Sewer
    Option 4 – Storm Water
    Option 5 – Streets
  • For Emergencies, dial 911