Frequently Asked Questions
What are the requirements to run for municipal office?
- 18 Years old
- a US citizen
- a registered voter
- a resident of Eagle Mountain City (or a recently annexed area) for twelve consecutive months prior to the election.
Any mentally incompetent person, or any person convicted of a felony, or any person convicted of treason or a crime against the elective franchise may not hold office in this state until the right to vote or hold elective office is restored as provided by statute.
What if I cannot file a declaration of candidacy in-person?
An individual may designate an agent to file a declaration of candidacy with the city recorder if:
- the individual is located outside of the state during the entire filing period;
- the designated agent appears in person before the city recorder;
- the individual communicates with the city recorder using an electronic device that allows the individual and city recorder to see and hear each other; and
- the individual provides the city recorder with an email address to which the city recorder may send the individual election forms and information.